Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Spirit Speaks to Your Heart and Mind


"Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation."
-D&C 8:2-3

Did you know that the spirit can speak to you almost word for word in your mind? Like dictation.

Elder Scott says: "Sometimes the impressions are just general feelings. Sometimes the direction comes so clearly and so unmistakably that it can be written down word for word, like spiritual dictation."

He then goes on to describe an experience he had with this dictation. He was in a Sunday church meeting when the impressions came flooding in, "I received such an outpouring of impressions that were so personal that I felt it inappropriate to try to record them in the midst of a Sunday School class. I sought a more private location. There I continued to write the feeling that flooded into my mind and heart as accurately and as faithfully as possible. After each powerful impression was recorded, I pondered the feeling I had received to determine if I had accurately expressed them in writing. As a result, I made a few minor changes to what had been written. Then I studied their meaning and application in my own personal life.

Subsequently I prayed, reviewing with the Lord what I thought I had been thaught by the Spirit. When a feeling of peace and serenity confirmed what I had sought, I thanked Him for the guidance given. I was then impressed to ask if there was yet more that I could be given to understand. I received further impressions, and the process of writing down the impression and pondering and praying to know if I had done it properly was repeated. Again I was prompted to ask, "is there more I should know?" There was. When that last, most sacred experience was concluded, I had received some of the most precious, specific, personal direction one could ever hope to obtain in this life. I am convinced that had I not responded to the first impressions, valued, and recorded them, I would not have received the last, most precious guidance. What I have described in not an isolated experience."

-Elder Richard G. Scott, "Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy" pgs. 42,45,46

2 comments:

  1. Just dropping by to let you know I have a super give-away contest running this week (and every week) on my LDS blog at Not Entirely British
    This time, the prize is a copy of Dr. Wally Goddard's latest book, Soft-Spoken Parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really believe principle, it's one my mum always taught me. She would sometimes write out her prayers, word for word, and wait for the answer and then write them out word for word. Seems kind of daunting doesn't it, but I've tried it and it helps me to focus and makes 'hearing' the Spirit easier, plus I also think its shows Heavenly Father that he can trust you if you put so much effort into trying to listen.

    ReplyDelete