Thursday, February 5, 2009

Humility is a Strength

Yesterday I was going to write more from Elder Maxwell's talk. As I was reading through it I realized I would have to copy and paste most of it so I just decided not to add more. It is a great talk to read though.

Often times in our world today, we think of humility and meekness as being a wimpy door mat. Quite the contrary, we become "steadfast and immovable," not easily riled up or tossed by the hardships, disappointments, let downs and frustrations of life. I would say this is one of the first ways we acquire true JOY. As we are humble so many other things open up to us.

I really like what author John Pontius says about humility being a strength in response to Heleman 3:35.

"Does it strike you as a contradiction in terms to say "stronger and stronger in humility?" How can humility be strength? This is true because yielding to the promptings of the Holy Spirit is an act of humility which brings spiritual strength. "

-John Pontius, "Following the Light of Christ into His Presence"

No comments:

Post a Comment