Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blessings and Miracles

Well, it's been over a month since my last post. The past month has been a difficult but great one. There has been so much that has gone on, but the biggest most life changing thing happened to our family on April 24, 2009. I will start by saying that my son is alive and doing great! This is the first time I have written the experience down because until now it has been too difficult for me to write.

We were in Boise, Idaho judging the Mrs. Idaho America pageant. I was in a judges meeting and my husband had taken the kids to the hotel pool. My meeting was right down the hall. We heard someone yell "call 911" and I knew immediately that it had to be my kids at the pool. I ran down to the pool so fast to find my oldest son, 5 years old, lying lifeless and blue on the side of the pool with my husband trying everything he knew to revive him in a panic.

Amazingly one of the other judges was a dentist and knew CPR. At the same time she came to give the CPR my husband gave him a blessing and to our amazement he started to breath again. The relief was like nothing I can describe yet I was still in a panic because I didn't know if he would ever make a full recovery. Just as he started breathing the paramedics arrived and gave him oxygen. This must have upset my son because he yelled, "No" and then whacked one of the paramedics. I have never been grateful to see my son hit anyone until that moment. I knew with the 'hit' that he was a least somewhat back to normal.

He was then taken to the hospital in the ambulance. He spent the night there on oxygen and around 10:30 at night he woke up and we knew for sure that there was no brain damage because he could answer all of our questions. What a relief that was. He remembered everything! That made me feel very sad.

I don't think I realized the full severity of the incident until the next day when the judge that gave him CPR told me, "he was gone." Then, the next morning, my son woke up and told me that when he 'fell asleep' he went to Heaven. He said there were a lot of colors and he saw Heavenly Father and that Heavenly Father had given him the choice to come back or not. He can't remember why he chose to come back but I'm sure glad he did.

This whole experience has been such a difficult thing for me to deal with, while at the same time it has taught me so much and been an absolute miracle! It is actually feeling really good to write it down.

I have so much to write about the lessons learned from the experience but I have written enough for today. (My pregnant brain can only process so much info and then it's done! :)) If I feel I can write more about it I will later.

Before I go though I just have to say that the people in Boise are some of the most wonderful people in the world! I can't believe how much people helped us!


  1. Wow, what an incredible experience. I'm so glad he's okay and I'm glad you're writing it down--it's so important to write down experiences like this.

    Thank you for sharing it, even if I had to read it through tears.

  2. Thank you for your comment. My husband and I have written down our sons full account of it. For some reason it has just been really hard for me to write it down until now. Thank you.

  3. I'm happy to hear that your son is okay. Thanks for sharing a very personal experience with all of us readers.